Saturday, January 10, 2009

Less Frequent Posting in the Future

Not that it represents any significant loss to the world of political, economic, or educational writing, but I will be posting to this blog less frequently in the future. I have truly enjoyed it; but, I had hoped to stimulate more discussion on these issues than what has resulted. Thanks to those who have taken the time to read them and thanks to those who have commented orally that they have enjoyed reading them. I’m amazed that there haven’t been any who have taken issue with some of what was said. There undoubtedly are and maybe they are just being kind.

I’ve decided to take on another hopefully meaningful, creative, and certainly time consuming job of helping to home school our granddaughter. That is the advantage of retirement – doing what one wants to within reason. I taught school and coached at the secondary level for about 15 years some 30 years ago so I should have known what I was getting myself into – plus she is only a 2nd grader for crying out loud! However, it has been an eye opening experience already. Teaching is a tough job requiring all kinds of prep work, background educational reading, and serious thought. I have been truly amazed at the volume of information out there for education of young people. There are K-12 computer programs, supplemental computer programs, many studies on educational practices I’ve not been exposed to over the last 30 years, plus a wealth of curriculum information, exercises, games, etc. to peruse and/or include in one’s instruction.

You take a bright young girl and add in “a little” ADHD and you have a challenging experience that offers an interesting mix of joyful exhilaration in one lesson with a humbling one of failure in the next lesson. It is a roller coaster ride of emotion for both of us. I love it, so I intend to spend a disproportionate amount of time working one-on-one with this little girl I love so much and do my best to remain sane.

I’ve made it very clear to her that I will do my best to help her do well in math and, more importantly, she will learn to enjoy the problem solving challenges of the subject. And, I will do my best to study history with her so that she gains an appreciation and knowledge for a subject she already enjoys. I’ve signed on for as long as her parents want to pursue this educational option and want my involvement. Please wish both of us luck.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck!
    You have my best wishes, my prayers, my support, and anything else I have at my disposal to provide. I hope your children and grandchildren know how blessed they are to have someone so involved in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am nearly speechless. For what it's worth, this special-needs mom thinks you are doing a beautiful thing. You have raised a wonderful daughter, and you are helping to raise a wonderful granddaughter. God bless you!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a marvelous thing for a magnificent little girl. Enjoy her sparkle and spunk. What special memories you will make with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know where your daughter gets her determination (and democratic views) from. You are a fabulous grandpa and dad. Your wife is pretty awesome, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow-I am in tears and touched beyond words at your commitment to your precious granddaughter (and her mommy!) That bright little second grader is extremely blessed to have been chosen to be a part of an incredible family.

    You are leaving an amazing legacy. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete